Kempston Rural was formed in 1896 when the old parish of Kempston was split into two parts - Kempston urban district (now the town of Kempston), and Kempston Rural parish. Historically Kempston was a large but lightly populated parish, with a decentralised population pattern. Kempston Rural is to the west of the town of Kempston, and comprises approximately the western half of the historical ecclesiastical parish of Kempston. The parish includes the small hamlets ("ends" in local parlance) of Box End, Church End, Green End, West End, and Wood End. For local election purposes Kempston Rural is in Turvey Ward, which also includes the civil parishes of Stagsden and Turvey. All Saint's Church at Church End, was originally the parish church for the whole of Kempston, and is the most notable historical building in either part of Kempston.
The Parish Council is responsible for a number of local services, including: roadside seats, Bus shelters, Litter bins, Dog waste bins, Wood End Play Space, the closed church yard at Church End.
In addition, the Parish Council liaises with the Borough Council on matters that are the Borough Councils responsibility such roads & footways. It also considers and responds to local planning proposals and other matters that might affect the lives and well-being of residents. The Parish Council is also represented on the local Community Safety Forum, The Kempston Charities, & Kempston Joint Burials Committee.
The Parish Council usually meets the 3rd Thursday of the month (except August & December), & there are always 15 mins set aside for public questions. Agenda's are published before the meeting, so residents can see what is due to be discussed. These are put on the 5 notice boards in the Parish & on this website - see "Parish Council Documents" on the left hand menu. Minutes of meetings are also on this website, plus the annual accounts & other relevant documents.